Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram

Sign up for email updates from Western Heritage Classic

Home > Events > Ranch Rodeo > Qualifications & Ranches > Swenson Land & Cattle Company

Swenson Land & Cattle Company

Swenson Land & Cattle Co.
Stamford, Texas
Founded: 1882

In 1854 Svante Magnus Swenson, a Swedish merchant and banker, bought Texas acreage, then a barren, unsettled wilderness, before the Civil War. He later gave his sons, E.P. and S.A. Swenson, the land to develop and as a result, the Swenson Brothers ranch was born.

The brothers purchased additional land, and by the early 1900’s ranch operations compromised almost 500,000 acres in four separate units, referred to as Flat Top; Throckmorton, Tongue River, and Spur Ranches, the last two of which have been sold. The enterprise was incorporated under the name of Swenson Land and Cattle Co. Inc. in 1926.

The brothers started ranching originally with native Texas longhorns which were branded with an SMS in honor of their father. Later, purebred Hereford and shorthorn cattle were introduced to upgrade the native stock and ultimately, selective breeding produced an entire herd of Herefords. Today the ranch consists of cow/calf operations producing feeder calves and yearlings. Stocker calves are pastured on company wheat lands.

The ranch remuda has been reborn and consists of 20 mares and 2 studs which are now being used to raise replacement geldings for the remuda and for offer to the public through select sales.

In 1978 the company was partitioned into four separate family-owned corporations. Today’s SMS is owned by the Bruce and Parry Swenson families. General Manager Mark Voss has been with the ranch for 10 years.

Back to
Top
Tickets & Deals