Skip Navigation LinksHome > Events > Ranch Rodeo > Qualifications & Ranches > Matthews/Nail Ranches

Matthews/Nail Ranches

 
Matthews/Nail Ranches
Albany, Texas
Founded: 1885
The Matthews Ranch and Nail Ranch join forces once again, as members from both ranching operations form a team for the Ranch Rodeo.
 
J.A. Matthews Ranch
The Matthews family came to the Clear Fork area in 1858. Ranching history was made on Christmas Day in 1875 when Sallie Reynolds married John Alexander Matthews. It was the first of many partnerships between the two Texas pioneer families. In 1885 John Alexander and Sallie Matthews registered the famous “open A, lazy V” brand that remains the ranch brand today. Today the ranch is run as a cow-calf operation at the Lambshead Ranch on the Clear Fork of the Brazos north of Albany. Herefords are crossed with Angus, Brangus, or Longhorn bulls and more than 40 working horses and chuck wagon mules round out the livestock population at the ranch.
 
Nail Ranch
Before setting up a ranching operation in and around Shackelford County in the late 1890’s, the Nail Family enjoyed an impressive ranching heritage in other parts of Texas. Upon settling the Albany location Jim Nail and his wife Chloe acquired the Monroe Cattle Company Ranch and eventually established his company as the J.H. Nail Cattle Company. The couple began acquiring other ranches in the area. Jim died in 1928 and son, James H. Nail, Jr. took over the running of the ranches with his wife, Tenie, at his side. By the outbreak of WWI Albany, Texas was surrounded by Nail-owned ranches. Since the death of Jim Jr., George Peacock has served as foreman and continues to oversee the day-to-day operations.